Thursday 24 September 2009

Meditation as a place of contemplation or escape?

Meditation as a place of contemplation or escape?: "I am no religious expert. My knowledge of comparative religions is limited to the times I have tagged along as non-Protestant friends worshipped.

When I knew I was moving to Saudi, I did some research and reading on Islam just to familiarize myself with the basics. I figured I’d have plenty of time – and opportunity – to learn more once I got here, and boy was I right!

We’re closing in on the end of Ramadan right now, a time when Muslims fast from dawn to dusk in remembrance of the poor, as an exercise in obedience and humility and of course submission.

As an outsider, it’s always interesting watching from the sidelines. Although most people really try to present a kinder and gentler side to the world it’s not hard to see the physical, emotional and mental struggles they endure whether from lack of sleep, lack of food, thirst or just plain weariness.

It’s also not hard to see the level of commitment and determination some folks bring to the struggle.

More than anything, I think, Ramadan encourages me to think about faith - both mine and theirs.

Take yesterday.

I had a meeting several towns away, so decided to take the bus. The ride is the perfect length for a nap and in the past, I’ve usually had the bus mostly to myself.

Not so yesterday, as more than two dozen guys got on the bus, honoring that age-old code of keeping at least a seat – and if possible an entire row – between them and the next passenger. A Saudi man who got on at a later stop sat across the aisle from me. The bus had barely started moving when he shut his eyes and started praying.

I know enough Arabic to be dangerous, but couldn’t make out the words – only the distinctive rhythm of memorized recitation.

At first I was impressed. The guy was like the Energizer® Bunny, he kept going and going.

And then I started thinking.

I have a few Bible passages memorized, a few more standard prayers that I can recite on demand, yet I have never in my life recited what I know over and over and over again for nearly an hour.

In moments of anguish or fear, I might do it – Psalm 23 rang through my head like a school bell while I was having my recent eye surgery – but for the most part…nope.

More likely, some memorized bit of Biblical wisdom will get stuck in my head and – after one quick run-through – I’ll spend time thinking about what it means, what the context of it is, how it can be applied in the present situation or if it relates to anything else I happen to have in my head at the time.

For me, the power of memorization is the ability to drag something out and contemplate it.

For the guy across the aisle, the power of memorization seemed to be something else entirely – more of a portal to some private place off-limits to the rest of the world.

I couldn’t help but wonder if the differences are in our chosen religions or in our cultures.

It’s something I’m going to keep wondering about.

How do you view memorization? What kinds of things do you memorize - if any? What do they mean to you? Is memorization a tool for contemplate or a tool to quiet the mind?
http://feeds.feedburner.com/blogspot/SGIME

No comments: